Life can become way too serious. Therefore, I thought of mixing it up by giving you 10 cool car facts:
- Estimates by US publisher, Ward’s estimates, in 2010 there were just over 1 Billion motor cars in the world.
2. Worldwide, 165,000 cars are produced every-day.
- If every part of a car is counted, down to the smallest bolt, the average car has about 30,000 parts
- In 2017 the TomTom Traffic Index (TTTI) released a report on how much time is lost while being stuck in traffic. This was calculated using travel time with rush hour traffic vs travel time with flowing traffic. Cape Town has the worst traffic, followed by Jo’bug and East-London. If you drive every day in rush hour traffic in Cape Town the average commuter will lose 42 minutes due to traffic.
Cape Town = 163 hours per year, which is almost 7 days annually
Jo’burg = almost 6 days per year
East-London = close to 5 days per year
- Carl Benz build the first car in 1885. The engine was a 4-stroke engine, with 1-cylinder and had a top speed of 16km/h. The vehicle was called the Benz Patent Motorwagen.
- Today, the world’s best-selling car is the Toyota Corolla. The Corolla was launched in 1966 and Toyota has sold more than 44.1 million Corollas in over 150 countries. 1 Corolla is sold every 15 seconds!! Here is more cool Corolla stats.
- Interesting Volkswagen fact: The name of some of their cars are names after types of winds. Jetta means “jet stream”, the Passat means “trade winds”, and the Polo means “Polar Winds.”
- Let’s unpack traveling to the moon in your car…
Distance to the moon: 384 400 km
Car speed: 100km/h
Time: Just under 6 months
- There is a small triangle icon next to the fuel icon on the dashboard of a car. This little triangular icon helps identify the side on which the petrol tank-inlet is.
- What is the most popular car colour according to South Africans?
According to Lightstone Auto in 2017 the stats looked as follows:
White – 45.2%
Silver – 20.2%
Grey – 10.4%
Blue – 8.0%
Red – 9.2%
Black – 1.0%
Hope you enjoyed the fun facts!